Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cello Dreams. . .

Last night, my daughter, Maya, participated in the Portland School System's All City Music Concert for strings and band.  They sounded surprisingly good!  At the end of the concert, as it is the end of the year, the students who had rental instruments through the school had to turn them in, and we suddenly found ourselves cello-less! 

So this morning, I went to Frost Gully Violins in Freeport, Maine to rent another Cello for her, as she would be having her next lesson this afternoon. 

The new cello was so much more beautiful than her old one that I just had to put on my 50mm f/1.4 lens and take some detail shots of it.  I love the way a cello or violin scroll looks: like a fiddlehead fern top in the early Spring, all curled up.  The shapes of these instruments are so sensuous and lovely to look at and I thought they would look best, emerging from the darkness of my black velvet background. 

I hope you enjoy the new shots!  Cindy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy, there is a good reason you got one of your photos in Pop Photo Magazine. These are great.

I particularly like how you have done them as a series.

Unknown said...

Thanks Nik! I like the series too!

Jon said...

Pictures like these are a lot of fun. I am curious, what did you do for the lighting in these shots? It's very nice.

I found your blog randomly and I am also a fellow Pentaxian (K10D). Enjoying your photos. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jon!

This was purely natural lighting (sidelight from a window in late afternoon.) I used the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 at quite shallow DOF b/c the light was so low and it would have been hard to get these angles on a tripod. . . I want to re-shoot to try other things on the tripod with the same lens soon, though--it was a fun shoot! Cindy

Cindy

Cindy
welcome to my world!

Blog Archive

cfw photography store