Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Swept Away in Winter Harbor, Maine

Last August (2008) Portland Magazine assigned me to photograph a sailing race at the Winter Harbor Yacht Club in Winter Harbor, Maine at Grindstone Neck. So far, it is the furthest I've traveled for the magazine, but it was well worth it. I had a great time and was lucky enough to be able to ride on marine artist, Peter Layne Argimbault's powerboat to get the shots. Otherwise, I would've been sitting on the committee boat at the finish line the whole time. The shot above is my favorite of the whole shoot. If you click on any of the photos once or twice depending on your type of computer, you can see a MUCH larger version of each photo. Then click the back button on your computer to go back to the blog.
Scroll through and take a tour of these now 103 year old wooden boats that were brought back from obscurity by the Winter Harbor Yacht Club when they brought the fleet back together. They are 30 feet long, I believe.






This Knockabout Race Results board has all the names of the boats listed on it:

Thanks for looking as always. Happy Sailing! Cindy
PS--If you click on the link for Portland Magazine in the farthest right column of my blog and then click on Online Extras at the Portland Magazine Site near the top of the page, you will find pictures from this series there.

2 comments:

bigsnit said...

These are lovely boats and lovely photos.

Where were you when you took them - in a chase boat / or a dock / or ??

Thanks for posting. I'm just heading out sailing now myself...

-Robert in North Vancouver BC

Madsu.ca

Unknown said...

Hi and thanks Robert,

I was in a fast speedboat! The artist who ferried me around (at high speeds with no life jacket, I might add) zipped us around into all the action. He paints pictures of sailboats in oil--Peter Layne Argimbault.

Cindy

Cindy
welcome to my world!

Blog Archive

cfw photography store