Friday, September 9, 2011

How to Photograph an Inhabited Planet. . .

It's a Simpson Kinda World. . .
Yesterday, I was trying out using a grid spot on one of my flashes to do some product photography techniques I was interested in.  I have wanted to photograph this Josh Simpson Glass inhabited planet for a long time but nothing has worked the way I wanted it to to date.  Until now. . .

I placed the gridded flash on the black plexi sheet to camera left at -1 EV and it nicely showed off the details of the planet without blowing anything out.  And I love the reflection of the planet in the glass.  I sent the shot to Josh and heard back from him via email:

"Hi Cynthia!
      Just a great photo... the feather is nice because it speaks to the size and delicacy of the planet... but I also like the shiny surface reflection too.  Thanks for sharing it with me!   Best wishes -  Josh"

You should definitely take a few minutes to visit his website, which showcases all the different types of glasswork he does, from inhabited planets to vases and Tektites and has a wonderful section on "Josh in Action" where he explains a bit about his process and it has some dynamic shots of him at work. 

Also, I just posted my newly finished 2012 wall calendar: A Year in Maine 2012 with twelve months of new photographs.  Check it out on my merchandise page.  Please share it with your friends and family.  It makes great holiday and birthday gifts!

I'd love to hear what you think.

Cindy

No comments:

Cindy

Cindy
welcome to my world!

Blog Archive

cfw photography store